On 2012/06/09 14:09, Alexander Polakov wrote:
> > I appreciate that the defaults would stay the same, but really,
> > what is the point in doing this? cwm can't be everything to
> > everyone.
>
> The point is: when you want tiling from time to time, it's impractical
> to switch to a tiling window manager.
the basic tiling isn't really a problem but tiling WMs need various
hacks to cope with the many programs that just *don't work* with them.
part of this is to cope with window layouts which are stupid when
they're tiled, part of it to cope with programs that plain don't like
having their windows resized on them immediately when they're created.
personally, I do see benefit to having your diff or something like it with
commands which can be bound that rearrange windows into certain layouts
on-demand (though I think vtile would be a lot more useful than htile to
many people with restricted vertical space ;)
but I think that's far enough; to get cwm to work as a full-time tiling
WM with window rearranging taking place all the time is going to need
various hacks which just seem at odds with the basic design of cwm.
I'd be keen for cwm not to end up with code like this
setquirk("MPlayer", "xv", SWM_Q_FLOAT | SWM_Q_FULLSCREEN
| SWM_Q_FOCUSPREV);
setquirk("OpenOffice.org 3.2", "VCLSalFrame", SWM_Q_FLOAT);
setquirk("Firefox-bin", "firefox-bin", SWM_Q_TRANSSZ);
setquirk("Firefox", "Dialog", SWM_Q_FLOAT);
setquirk("Gimp", "gimp", SWM_Q_FLOAT | SWM_Q_ANYWHERE);
setquirk("XTerm", "xterm", SWM_Q_XTERM_FONTADJ);
setquirk("xine", "Xine Window", SWM_Q_FLOAT | SWM_Q_ANYWHERE);
setquirk("Xitk", "Xitk Combo", SWM_Q_FLOAT | SWM_Q_ANYWHERE);
setquirk("xine", "xine Panel", SWM_Q_FLOAT | SWM_Q_ANYWHERE);
setquirk("Xitk", "Xine Window", SWM_Q_FLOAT | SWM_Q_ANYWHERE);
setquirk("xine", "xine Video Fullscreen Window",
SWM_Q_FULLSCREEN | SWM_Q_FLOAT);
setquirk("pcb", "pcb", SWM_Q_FLOAT);
setquirk("SDL_App", "SDL_App", SWM_Q_FLOAT | SWM_Q_FULLSCREEN);
so +1 for manually-triggered auto rearranging, -1 for turning cwm into
something which (dwm|ion|spectrwm|awesome|wmii|xmonad|...) already cater for.