Penned by Ted Unangst on 20120725 11:14.05, we have:
| On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 17:38, Paul de Weerd wrote:
| > Please read
| >
| > http://www.vidarholen.net/~vidar/overwriting_hard_drive_data.pdf
| >
| > I think it's time to stop propagating the Guttman lies.  Overwriting
| > more than once does not help.
|
| In fairness to Guttman, he's not the liar.  The paper, linked below,
| is still an interesting read.  But as he notes in the epilogue, "In
| the time since this paper was published, some people have treated the
| 35-pass overwrite technique described in it more as a kind of voodoo
| incantation to banish evil spirits than the result of a technical
| analysis of drive encoding techniques. As a result, they advocate
| applying the voodoo to PRML and EPRML drives even though it will have
| no more effect than a simple scrubbing with random data. In fact
| performing the full 35-pass overwrite is pointless for any drive since
| it targets a blend of scenarios involving all types of (normally-used)
| encoding technology, which covers everything back to 30+-year-old MFM
| methods (if you don't understand that statement, re-read the paper)."
|
| http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/secure_del.html
|
| [I think naddy's suggestion to use arc4random is reasonable will
| update for that soon.]

Thanks for the cluebats, I'll know better in the future.

Based on Paul's pdf link above, it seems like a single pass with
arc4random is sufficient...

Thanks,
--
Todd Fries .. t...@fries.net

|                                             \  1.636.410.0632 (voice)
| Free Daemon Consulting, LLC                 \  1.405.227.9094 (voice)
| http://FreeDaemonConsulting.com             \  1.866.792.3418 (FAX)
| 2525 NW Expy #525, Oklahoma City, OK 73112  \  sip:freedae...@ekiga.net
| "..in support of free software solutions."  \  sip:4052279...@ekiga.net

              37E7 D3EB 74D0 8D66 A68D  B866 0326 204E 3F42 004A
                        http://todd.fries.net/pgp.txt