I'm a bit late to the party, I know. But I just wanted to point out that
NIST now requires only the regular 'secure erase' ATA command to
sanitize a drive for anything that wouldn't require the drive to be
pitched into a metal shredder, pulverised, ground into powder, and then
melted into slag.

In other words, on modern hard drives, a single write with zeros is
probably enough. And if it isn't, the data shouldn't have been
unencrypted on the drive in the first place.

I'm opposed to adding more complication to this utility. I'd prefer that
it does it quickly and correctly, so that I will use it. The people who
want 35 overwrites won't trust the tool we provide anyways.

P.S.  An advantage of writing with zeros is that it's easy to verify
that the overwrite was done correctly. arc4random()... not so much.