On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 05:53:52PM +0100, Reyk Floeter wrote:
> External people seem to ask weird questions.
>
> I just had to dig into autoconf/auto* because it seems to be a "must
> have" for a "portable" project.

Here's a simple configure replacement you could use for such projects:

        #!/bin/sh

        foo() {
                ed -s "$0" <<- 'EOF'
                        /^echo/,/^foo$/d
                EOF
                exit
        }

        echo Just edit the Makefile.
        foo
        echo Please do not run this script again.
        foo
        echo "I told you, didn't I?"
        foo
        echo "STOP IT! Or I'll destroy myself."
        foo
        rm -f -- "$0"

Of course, the very first message is only necessary if there actually
*are* some system dependend things that can't be easily set by just
passing some variable assignments to make(1).

Ciao,
        Kili

ps: while we are about annoyances -- I thought about a little project
(suitable for ports category "education" which would

- remove a random file when run without arguments.
- remove a few random files when run with -?.
- remove a lot of random files when run with --help.

This would be clearly documented in the man page of it.