On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 09:03:11AM +0100, Reyk Floeter wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 25. November 2012 schrieb Brad Smith :
>
> > On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 11:57:50AM -0200, Gleydson Soares wrote:
> > > set ifp->if_baudrate with IF_Gbps() / IF_Mbps().
> > >
> > > OK ?
> >
> > Although it has already been commited its the wrong direction to go in.
> > These should be removed as the MII framework deals with this properly,
> > plus you missed a bunch of drivers.
> >

> Did you read my last reply about it? This is wrong. You cannot just remove
> if_baudrate because it is used in some places in the kernel (lacp, bridge)
> and userland as ifi_baudrate (pfctl's altq auto-bandwidth, snmpd). Simply
> removing it will break existing setups. We had the same problem and reason
> for if_linkstate: you cannot simply switch it to the MII framework as it is
> neither easy nor safe to read it from interrupt context. if_baudrate has to
> be fixed and unified, but it is not as easy as you think. I think it should
> reflect the current link bandwidth, just like if_linkstate does for the
> link state.

I don't think you're understanding what I am trying to say. I am not switching
or removing anything per se. The MII framework already takes care of this and
has for 12 years now. Any driver using the MII framework does have the baudrate
set as the current link bandwidth. I am just removing an assumed initial
baudrate
value which the MII framework will end up overwriting anyway. This is how some
of the most common drivers such as em, bge, bnx, re, fxp, etc. have done things
for many many years if not over a decade.

believed to be clean.