On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 01:22:20AM +0200, ja...@cieti.lv wrote:
> I tried this diff and at least one thing changed -- neverball now works
> (previously it immediately hung the GPU on start). There is still corruption
> and GPU hanging in chromium. There is corruption in mplayer -vo gl too (and
> it is still much slower than it is on 5.4).
>
> With a lot of help from Stefan Sperling I tried to do experiments.
>
> Since I am too unskilled I was not able to do it properly and build xenocara
> from the same point in time (date-based CVS checkouts do not compile for me)

It's unfortunate that CVS messes up like this :(
I just tested date-based checkouts with opencvs and it's also broken.

> but I built kernel on 5.3 from 2013-07-06 with just this patch applied:
> http://freshbsd.org/commit/openbsd/304417ea27d0874895cc4e65c30324b7bd14ac22
> (as I am 80% sure it's when problems started) and the screen became totally
> corrupted in X but computer did not hang. It looked very similar to what is
> seen now. If that helps that is all I could find out.

Well, that is the patch that requires a newer libdrm to work.
It changes the userland<->kernel interface that libdrm is using
to talk to the kernel to configure graphics. So unless you also
updated libdrm I don't think that it is surprising that graphics
stopped working in this configuration.

You could try updating libdrm (/usr/xenocara/lib/libdrm) to the same
time frame.