On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 08:38:05PM -0700, Theo de Raadt wrote:
> > I do use emulators, specifically for ARM, because it's just easier for me.
> > And one of my co-workers is a contributor to the Hercules emulator.
>
> Then you know it is not sufficient for our needs, yet we keep getting
> the same message from some people.  The emulators are too slow, or they
> need to be run on super fast xeons and suddenly draw even more power.
> The suggestion is totally out of touch.

I don't know that personally. I do believe that the particular anecdote I
replied to is an insufficient premise to support the avowed need mentioned
in your ruBSD talk, namely the ability to stress core services like memory
management in diverse ways.

But I'm content taking your word for it. And I'm not trying to argue with
you. Obviously the issue is far more complex than an interview and anecdote
let on.

> > > Finally, we have people who want to work on those architectures.  You
> > > prefer they quit?
> >
> > No, I don't prefer they quit.
>
> But you've instructed us to power the machines off and move to emulators.

I never argued any such thing.

> > So, please don't misunderstand me. I'm not questioning why you guys use so
> > much power with old hardware.
>
> It is not a lot of power; that is a myth.

It is a lot of power considering that my modern, 4-core Haswell Xeon 1U
servers draw less than 50W at maximum load. I used to run OpenBSD on Sparc
and Alpha, and they drew more power than that at idle.

But that's beside the point, because I'm not attacking OpenBSD's
infrastructure setup.

<snip>
> > I'm not writing the code, so it's not my place to question.
>
> You said it yourself, it is not your place to question.  Yet, you that
> is precisely what you are doing.

I disagree. I merely made a point about an anecdote. I apologize if my quip
about "coolness factor" struck a nerve.

> > And, FWIW, I love the idea of a CD subscription service. I often end up
> > forgetting to buy a CD. I upgrade most of my systems remotely (with a 13
> > year track record of never losing a machine--thanks!), so I never have to
> > actually use the CD.
>
> Why do you need a subscription?  You can go order the ones you are
> missing (right now), and even save postage since a whole bunch fill
> arrive at once.  There is no need to setup the additional overhead of
> managing subscriptions, for people like you.
>
> Wow, so many crazy suggstions.

I never suggested a CD service. Somebody else suggested it and I
thought--apparently erroneously--that it received a favorable comment from
someone on the OpenBSD team.

In any event I just discovered the monthly donation subscription on the
Foundation website and have signed up for a $20 monthly donation. So the CD
subscription is less of a useful idea than it initially appeared.