On 08/19/14 21:45, Tim Epkes wrote:
> All,
>
> I had implemented a network using openospf and initially left
> router-priorities off.  Problem is I kept coming up FULL/OTHER and would
> not get routes.  I changed the router priority values (not to match as when
> I matched got the same).  I changed one side of a line to 10, while the
> other was 5.  When I reloaded the side I changed, it stayed in FULL/OTHER
> state when it came up again.  To get it to change to FULL/DR or FULL/BCKUP
> I needed to reload both systems ospfd daemons.  Then it recalced fine.
>  This leads me to believe that their isn't a full renegotiation if the
> other side is still running.  That would be hard to do in an environment
> where you have to bring down the entire network to make a change.  Is this
> a bug or was this the intended deployment.  Also if priorities match,
> shouldn't they then move to see who has the highest RID to determine DR and
> Backup.  Cause coming up as OTHER by default was a real pain.  Thanks
>
> P.S. once all reloaded it works fine.
>
> Tim

Hi Tim,

If you start two ospfd without any special router priority, the default priority
of both routers is 1, one router becomes DR and the other one BDR.
That's how it supposed to work and if it doesn't something is wrong. I have
tried it with a very simple configuration and it works for me.

If your network is up alreade and their is a DR in it and another ospfd goes
up, the DR won't change regardless of it's priority.
See RFC 2328 section 7.3:
In general, when a router's interface to a network first becomes functional,
it checks to see whether there is currently a Designated Router for the
network. If there is, it accepts that Designated Router, regardless of its
Router Priority.

Why will you enforce a new DR if their is already one?

Florian