All right!

I'm not yet convenient with contributing open source projects with
source changes, and I don't know yet what is the most efficient way to
put effort.

I assume that every part of the source tree has some developer
responsibility who knows it best and is the most effective working on
it, so I try to find what is best way to contribute. Example of this, as
you say it is best to use first setpgid and then fix setpgrp and it is
best that everyone check own part of code.

I'm talking here about to get focus what to do. I'm moderate to spot
bugs, security holes, and other issues so I'm thinking process that is
that OK, if I write tests that poke OpenBSD to crash, or make
before-clean-code to smell like sh*t, and try to NOT patch issue if it
is scattered everywhere in the source tree like this. And if the issue
is found single component I try to fix it.

Writing tests means easily full load of new files, so what is preferred
way to contribute?

I also noted that regress folder structure may possible need
refactoring, and the coding style is very variable there.

-Matti