"Todd C. Miller" <todd.mil...@courtesan.com> writes:

> I have no objection to this but I don't think the System-V setpgrp()
> API belongs in compat-43.  We can just move it to gen/setpgrp.c.
>
> Like Ted says, we should ready the source tree first by using
> setpgid().  However, all the uses of setpgrp() in the tree are the
> equivalent of:
>
>     setpgrp(0, getpid());
>
> which could be replaced more simply by:
>
>     setpgid(0, 0);

I agree that the source tree should use setpgid().

However I don't think that changing our setpgrp definition would bring
much (any?) benefit.  The mismatch here between SysV and BSD is known
since a long time, and I bet that a bunch of stuff in ports will use the
BSD idiom inside simple #ifdef BSD checks.  I have no idea right now of
the number of ports that would be affected, but the efforts spent by
porters on this issue should considered.

--
jca | PGP : 0x1524E7EE / 5135 92C1 AD36 5293 2BDF  DDCC 0DFA 74AE 1524 E7EE