>But you didn't write any tests before this diff, and as a result you broke
>chmod.

Retrofitting test suite requires some effort and didn't do that now
because...

My apologies for two things:

1. I do, forgot to put question mark. My intention was to _ask_ for that
code: "WTF this?"

2. I put that message to wrong mailing list. Questions with diff should
definitely go to misc@

And now this thread sprawled long way to off course in wrong list...
So, I don't answer in this thread any longer, and I hope we all can now
shut down this spamming.

Even I could easily refactor code to more sane in terms of function
complexity, I don't want do that without test suite (there is probably
available) because I don't want to take risk of breaking it.

And, I don't do that even if I have that test suite, because I have doubt
no one will not commit refactored version because there is opinions that
monster function can be more readable.

Nothing more to see here.