On 18/07/2015 07:40, Philip Guenther wrote:
> You have in mind a place where this would be used?  Where are there
> bugs that this would resolve?

Hi Philip,
I originally thought it was meant to be a performance thing in busy
environments but that's because I'd misinterpreted things due to
O_NONBLOCK flag.
The feature was actually added to ensure whatever cat was meant to be
reading from was indeed a plain file and not another which could block a
process.
"Use cat -f to avoid denial of service attacks by people who make
.rhosts files fifos."
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/source-changes/2000/01/14/0069.html

This diff as it stands has 2 flaws:
1) The new flag doesn't actually work as intended because the OpenBSD
fopen(3) doesn't support the f mode.
2) It passes the f flag to fopen by default, I need integrate the
changes from r1.24 which makes it so that the flag is only passed if it
has been specified by the use.

I'm happy to follow up with a new diff, the question is, is the
functionality it provides of interest?

Sevan