Hi,

Ted Unangst wrote on Sun, Jul 19, 2015 at 10:26:19AM -0400:
> Sevan Janiyan wrote:

>> The feature was actually added to ensure whatever cat was meant
>> to be reading from was indeed a plain file and not another
>> which could block a process.
>> "Use cat -f to avoid denial of service attacks by people
>> who make .rhosts files fifos."
>> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/source-changes/2000/01/14/0069.html

> hmm, well, security(8) in openbsd is a perl script that doesn't
> exec cat, so this wouldn't help solve that problem.
>
> now, looking at security, it seems there may be an issue
> if it tries to open a blocking file, but that will need
> solving there, not in cat.

I don't think we are vulnerable.

If my analysis is accurate, the only user-controlled files
we open in security(8) are ~/.rhosts and ~/.shosts
in check_rhosts_content().  However, there is

  next unless -s $filename;

right before the open(), and for fifos, -s returns false:
Both test(1) and perl(1) consider fifos zero-length,
so security(8) won't attempt to open such fifos.
I confirmed that by creating such a fifo in my home directory,
and security(8) did not hang, but it did complain about some
permissions on the fifo.

So, i don't see any need for action at this point.

(Andrew, do you agree?)

Yours,
  Ingo