> On Jan 5, 2016, at 12:05 PM, Mark Kettenis <mark.kette...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>

>>> On Jan 1, 2016, at 5:13 PM, Mark Kettenis <mark.kette...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks.  This strange.  I don't quite understand what's happening here
>>> as the ACPI MADT table lists the CPUs in the expected order and cpu0
>>> attaches as the boot processor.
>>>
>>> To rule out that the BIOS configuration changes you made somehow
>>> resorted the table, can you try booting a GENERIC kernel?
>>
>> Sure. dmesg-sp.txt is attached.
>>
>> cpu0 at mainbus0: apid 0 (boot processor)
>
> Curious.  So basically it works now.  Seems fiddling with the BIOS
> options inded resorted things.  Guess we'll never know what really
> happened here.

Yeah, I'm going to open an inquiry with SuperMicro about this aspect.

> Think these are quite interesting for running OpenBSD on.  Should be
> quite a bit faster than the Atom C2750/C2758 machines without
> consuming a lot more power. Unfortunately they are a bit pricier.
>
> Support for the 10Gb Ethernet to ix(4) shouldn't be too much effort,
> but is hard to do without actual hardware in our hands.

Not having really followed OpenBSD driver dev much before, how dissimilar is
ix(4) from FreeBSD's? Is there much in the way of shared code or are OpenBSD's
ix(4) more of a home-grown thing? Do they utilize Intel's shared device code?

For my purposes, the 1Gb phys are sufficient for this box, which will be doing
double-duty as a firewall and OpenVPN host. Of course the 10Gb phys are always
good to have.

/dale