On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 6:46 PM, Chris Bennett
<chrisbenn...@bennettconstruction.us> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 09:18:14PM -0500, Michael McConville wrote:
>> Chris Bennett wrote:
>> > I found a subroutine in printjob.c called sendmail with uses
>> > _PATH_SENDMAIL.
>> >
>> > I found it all over the place:
>>
>> Are you implying that they should be replaced? IIUC, we create a
>> sendmail binary (or at least a link) even though we no longer
>> technically use sendmail. See usr.sbin/mailwrapper.
>>
>> That said, _PATH_SENDMAIL could be deprecated for other reasons. I'm
>> just guessing at what you meant.
>
> Well, sendmail is no longer in base.
> But sendmail is installable from ports.

As are exim and postfix, and the de facto standard CLI interface for
submitting an email message to any of the MTAs that run on OpenBSD is
to invoke "sendmail" with a standard set of options and arguments.

> There are also many programs out there that have modules written to use
> actual sendmail.

I think the vast majority are written not to the full CLI of "sendmail
by Eric Allman", but rather a subset CLI which all the MTAs now
provide their own version of, with -f, -t, maybe a couple others, and
a bunch of options which are ignored.  All those random program aren't
trying to specifically run "sendmail by Eric Allman" but rather
"whatever the locally configured mail submission agent is".

Perhaps it's confusing, but it was the solution that basically all the
OS distributions settled on when alternative MTAs first started being
developed.  At least the name actually reflects what the API does!

> Since I'm working at clearing off the dust and throwing out the old junk
> right now, I might be overly biased. Perhaps it is worth the effort to
> replace yet more "historic" bits once and for all.
> Maybe not.

Hmm, do you know of a CLI API for mail submission which is *more*
common than "invoke sendmail with -f/-t/addresses"?

We wouldn't want to hard code "smtpd" or "smtpctl" there, as then it
would stop working on systems where exim or postfix was the configured
MTA.

Philip Guenther