On 2016/05/23 16:51, Gerhard Roth wrote:
> > This is the kind of horrors I have been removing during the past years.
> >
> > Why do you need to set a default route in the first place?
>
> Just like PPP this was designed as a point-to-point interface. The idea
> is that once you get an uplink, all traffic should be routed through it.
>
> What other sensible routing could there be? Only routing some selected IP
> addresses through your mobile uplink doesn't seem like the normal use case.

Routing just certain destinations over a particular PPP is definitely
valid, and I think the same applies here. (Maybe you have a fast ISP and a
cheap ISP and want to use the fast one for some VPN or important traffic).

What I don't understand is why routing to a point-to-point interface needs
anything other than the interface name to be used for the destination.