si...@slackware.it [si...@slackware.it] wrote:
> Speaking as a Cubieboard owner here ;-)
> Would it be too much hassle to provide both images? (and a pony!)

It's fairly easy to take a miniroot image for a similar board, and
adapt it to your board.

Since both the Cubieboard and Cubieboard2 are Allwinner based,
the miniroot's general structure does not change.

1. Install u-boot-2016.07p1 from ports/packages (packages if you don't
want to wait all day)

2. Examine /usr/src/distrib/armv7/ramdisk/install.md and find
a similar board (same or similar chipset).

3. Find the proper u-boot/dtb stuff in /usr/local/share/u-boot

4. Download the miniroot image for a board that has the same
or similar chipset to your board

5. vnconfig vnd0 miniroot.fs

6. Install proper u-boot image to the miniroot image. The install.md
file tells you how to copy the proper u-boot/dtb over. For instance,
Cubieboard is Allwinner A10/A20, and my Lime is A20.

install.md says:

        cubie)
                dd if=$_mdec/u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin of=${_disk}c \
                    bs=1024 seek=8 >/dev/null 2>&1

So, to get my Lime or Lime2 working, I do this:

dd if=/usr/local/share/u-boot/A20-OLinuXino-Lime2/u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin
of=/dev/rvnd0c bs=1024 seek=8

(Note: Lime and lime2 bootloaders will appear to work on both boards,
but if you don't use the right one, the Realtek ethernet PHY will
not be properly initialized.)

7. vnconfig -u vnd0

8. Write miniroot.fs to your SD card

You don't have to use vnd, but this is conceptually simpler
and less error prone than trying to chop it up with dd.

Chris