* Aaron Riekenberg <aaron.riekenb...@gmail.com> [2016-09-05 13:04]:
> Thanks for the explanation.
>
> I am curious though - is dhclient really the right place to fix this?  I
> might use some other dhcp client (dhcpcd in ports for example) or some
> other application that uses BPF.  Should every userland program using BPF
> have to worry whether or not it is breaking bridging?

no, the key is the dropping in BPF, which is an OpenBSD extension.
[I don't know whether others have similiar schemes or followed our
lead, and that's NOT THE TOPIC HERE. point is, it is nonstandard and
not in widespread use by 3rd party code if at all]

strictly speaking, the bpf filters in the base dhcp programs have been
matching (and thus eating) too much forever since we added them, it
just didn't show up because it was covered by the behaviour (strictly
speaking, I'd say misbehaviour) of the stack with bridge so far.

--
Henning Brauer, h...@bsws.de, henn...@openbsd.org
BS Web Services GmbH, http://bsws.de, Full-Service ISP