>"Theo de Raadt" <dera...@openbsd.org> wrote:
>> attila <att...@stalphonsos.com> wrote:
>> > Hi tech@,
>> >
>> > I frequently want to move a file from one place to another and shred
>> > the original via the rm(1) -P option.  On several occasions I have
>> > forgotten about wanting to shred the original file when using mv(1)
>> > instead (out of habit) and ended up losing the ability to do so easily
>> > because mv(1) unlinks the original in the cross-filesystem case.
>> >
>> > This patch adds a -P option to mv(1) that does the same thing rm -P
>> > does in all the cases where it would normally just unlink the source
>> > file.
>> >
>> > Maybe someone else has shared my "d'oh!" moment after typing mv?
>> > Maybe this isn't worth it and should just be dealt with using a shell
>> > alias, but to me this feels cleaner.
>> >
>> > Feedback most welcome as always.
>>
>> over my dead body.
>
>A better answer would've been:
>
>    POSIX gives us no way to "shred" a file and our non-standard
>    extension to rm already irks us; we don't want to add yet another
>    to mv.
>
>That would've made sense, and also would've been polite.  More
>importantly it would've been better for someone to have found that in
>the archives than what you said, which will surely leave people who
>find it wondering why you behave this way.

att...@stalphonsos.com whoever the hell you are, you don't get to tell
me when i am being impolite.  you are some random hiding behind an
email address, while everyone knows exactly who I am and where I come
from, with >20 years of opinion turned into validity under my belt (and
some wrong, but that goes with the territory)

On the other hand, random mostly-anon people who aren't brave enough
to put their full credentials into their email address tend to have
close to zero influence.  Shocking isn't it?  Know how to fix that?

So your opinion (AND JUDGEMENT ME OF) counts for far less, and you
should (a) consider your idiotic position, (b) recognize you aren't
someone who can land / not land the proposed change, and (c) realize
randoms on the internet/unix don't succeed change the internet/unix -
much to their anonymous nature, oh the dismay, oh my god.

Over my dead body I said.

I mean it.  I will not permit the stupidity.  Nor will I accept the
stupidity of trying to call me out for calling out the stupid.