On Mon, 2018-11-12 at 15:01 -0500, Brian Callahan wrote:

> On 11/12/18 1:13 PM, John Long wrote:

> > > What are you talking about? This is in reference to the code in
> > > calendar(1) that sets the dates for the Judaic calendar. If you
> > > think
> > > there's something wrong there, I await your patch to
> > > usr.bin/calendar/pesach.c
> > >

> > I haven't seen the code. I responded to the comment that "days are
> > not
> > connected to Pesach." All Jewish holidays are connected to Pesach,
> > it
> > is one of the points from which years are calculated. And my
> > statement
> > above and the explanation how it works is correct as I wrote it.
> >
> > So what are you talking about? Exactly what did I write that you
> > are
> > disputing here?
>
> If you haven't read pesach.c or the calendar.judaic code, then you
> can't
> be helped because it is obvious from a quick glance at the code
> that
> some of the dates on calendar.judaic are listed as Westernized
> dates
> (aka the ones my diff changes) and others are dates in the form of
> Pesach+/-n.

I looked at it and there is no revelation there, the code is just an
implementation of Gauss's Pesach algorithm, as it says. From that,
with an understanding of how the years are laid out along with some
basic math and in some cases specific rules for various fasts that
can't fall on Shabbes, etc. it's possible to write code that works
forever i.e. does not need to be changed every year.

You said the calendar has to be changed every year and is based on
western [civil] dates, so it's clear whoever is maintaing it doesn't
understand our calendar.

> I'll be moving forward with the oks I have and without your
> opinion on everything else below because you can go be a shanda
> somewhere else and not on this list, as this list is no place for
> your
> nonsense diatribe as to what counts as Judaism or not.

I'm qualified to correct issues with the transliterations and I
pointed out several inconsistencies earlier, and also to differentiate
between Jewish and civil holidays. When you translate these holidays
into English and if you want to include both major communities
(Ashkenaz and Sephard) you will have to have two sets of
transliterations. There is a third significant community (Yemenite)
but an English transliteration according to the Sephardi community
would be acceptable to them.

We use our calendar daily. In addition to info about when holidays
occur, we also have to know how the various times work out each day of
the year for religious observances during the day. So any useful
Jewish calendar necessarily includes things like astronomical
sunrise/sunset by geographic location and based on legal rulings over
history in each place where there was a Jewish community. We also need
to know about other times of the day derived from the length of the
daylight period as the days get longer and shorter. We have many
obligations and prohibitions based on the day of the year and time of
day. So we have a vital interest in understanding the calendar as it
was calculated and ratified thousands of years ago and it is in use
until now because to us it is actually relevant in our lives day by
day, hour by hour.

If you would like to see an example of what a Jewish calendar looks
like I can send you a couple of snapshots of the one I use. It is
really excellent and has a section explaining the various legal
opinions as well as providing the times based on those calculations.

/jl