Hi Andrew,

Andrew Fresh wrote on Thu, Feb 21, 2019 at 08:22:16PM -0700:
> On Fri, Feb 22, 2019 at 01:57:01AM +0200, Lauri Tirkkonen wrote:

>> Hi, the recent perl-5.28.1 and related unicore update brought the
>> unicode data from version 8.0.0 to version 10.0.0. That fixes some
>> character classifications (eg. emoji characters gained East_Asian_Width
>> value 'Wide', which causes them to correctly get a wcwidth() of 2). But
>> the ctype source data needs to be regenerated with this new perl/unicore
>> to gain the benefits.
>>
>> So I've done just that:
>>     cd /usr/src/share/locale/ctype && ./gen_ctype_utf8.pl > en_US.UTF-8.src
>> and the resulting diff is below. You could obviously run this yourself -

> I meant to do that and make sure it was OK with schwarze@,

I'm certainly OK with the basic idea of doing an update in this way.

> so it is OK afresh1@,

I guess once we are confident that not just the idea, but the specific
diff is OK, you'll not only get to OK it, but even to commit it, Andrew.  :)

> although I didn't compare your output to mine.

Should be trivial to do, or would that cause any inconvenience?

It seems like a free additional test to me, as another easy test
to make sure that nothing unexpected went awry.

>> I'm only including the diff because it took quite a long time to run the
>> script (177m08.01s real).

> There are a lot of unicode symbols.  Someday if I get super bored I'll
> write something to do it in parallel :-)

I clearly prefer simplicity over performance in this respect.

I'll now have a look at the diff itself to see whether anything
looks suspicious.

Yours,
  Ingo