On Wed, Nov 27, 2019 at 05:31:48PM +0200, Lauri Tirkkonen wrote:
> I'll give you some more background that I maybe should have given
> earlier already: in my hobby OS Unleashed, we use bmake and earlier did
> some (slightly hacky) modifications to subdir.mk to enable paralellizing
> jobs in multiple subdirs at the same time. I don't remember the exact
> numbers since it's been quite some time, but I was able to cut the base
> build time by *a lot* with just that change -- during the build there
> were previously a lot of idle CPUs. Those results served as motivation
> for me to start looking into doing similar things in OpenBSD, and having
> a jobserver is sort of the first step there.

I did experiment with something similar a while back:

reorganizing a large part of usr.bin or usr.sbin to just be one
single variation of bsd.prog.mk with multiple progs and multiple object
files... works just fine for, say 95% of the binaries in those directories

(considering there are lots of directories with one single C file or two
C files, this sounds like a gain for make -jN, right ?)

End result: no measurable gain.   That on 4 cpu boxes at the time.
There are SMP issues to solve before this actually yields any
useful result...