On Tue, 11 Feb 2020 18:58:48 +0100
Jeremie Courreges-Anglas <j...@wxcvbn.org> wrote:

> So the steps would be:
> - build and install a new clang
> - bump the major of libc++, build and install it
> - rebuild and reinstall clang
> - build new snap

You are the first person to suggest bumping .so majors; I didn't think
to do so.  If libc++ needs a major bump, then libc++abi and libLLVM
might also need them.  These 3 are the only .so (that I can find)
built by base-clang on powerpc.

Across base + xenocara + ports, almost nothing uses these 3 .so on
powerpc.  The only users that I find are
 - /usr/bin/clang* using libc++.so.3.0 and libc++abi.so.1.0
 - nothing using libLLVM.so.1.0

(xenocara/lib/mesa uses libLLVM only for i386 amd64 arm64.  I looked
for ports with LLVM in WANTLIB, found only devel/py-llvmlite, but it
requires base-clang, and ports doesn't use base-clang for powerpc.)

If we don't bump majors, then people who upgrade OpenBSD macppc would
get the new libc++.so.3.0 and libc++abi.so.1.0 at the same time as the
new clang; and people on other platforms won't see an unnecessary
major bump.

If we do bump majors, then people who had used /usr/bin/clang++ on
OpenBSD macppc might be able to run their old binaries with the old
libc++.so.3.0 and libc++abi.so.1.0, while the new clang would use
libc++.so.4.0 and libc++abi.so.2.0.

--George