On 4/27/20 4:53 PM, Theo de Raadt wrote:
Gerhard Roth <gerhard_r...@genua.de> wrote:

Hi Theo,

On 4/27/20 4:39 PM, Theo de Raadt wrote:
Is this code in umb_decode_ip_configuration() reached again, if
you do a late ifconfig (don't set inet6 at up time, but set it
later)

no, seting inet6 later doesn't work. On MBIM level I have to tell the
device *before* the CONNECT whether I want IPv6 support or not. And
there is no way to change that selection later on while we are
connected.

The only way to do this transparently would be an implicit disconnect
followed by a reconnect in if_umb.c. But then I would need some trigger
that is called every time someone does 'ifconfig umb0 inet6 eui64' or
'ifconfig umb0 -inet6'. And I'm not sure whether the implicit
temporary link loss is appreciated by the user.

Then this diff seems incorrect.

The alternative of disconnecting, is not nice.

Perhaps umb can always request inet6 at startup, but not actually expose
it to the network stack.  Then enabling the software inet6 flag can expose
inet6 to the network layer, disabling the inet6 flag can remove exposure
to the network layer, but the actual address and support is always attempted
by the driver?

That would work. Will try this.