Hi Theo,

is umb really working that differently for a P2P interface? I think it is very similar to ppp(4) and IPv6. The standard way is to obtain the IP address via PPP protocol. Just like this, umb(4) obtains the IP address via MBIM protocol.

That's what is implemented with this and former umb(4) patches. With the current patch you can just do "ifconfig umb0 inet eui64" or "ifconfig umb0 -inet6" anytime, whether the interface is up or not.

But then there seem to be strange ISPs in Japan as detected by job@. They don't provide any IPv6 address via MBIM protocol but rather use the standard IPv6 SLAAC protocol. It strange; just as if ppp(4) would need DHCP to obtain its IPv4 address. But still, it seems to exist and users can still work with umb(4) if they do "ifconfig umb0 inet6 autoconf".

I don't see any way, how this different behavior could be "unified" in umb(4). It's a problem with the ISP, not with the driver.

Gerhard