Jonathan Gray <j...@jsg.id.au> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 07, 2020 at 03:16:33PM +0200, Frederic Cambus wrote:
> > Hi tech@,
> >
> > The recent spike of interest around framebuffer consoles has prompted
> > me to revisit a proposal I sent back in early 2017 [1].
> >
> > Aesthetics considerations aside, kettenis@ raised the concern that colors
> > from the original rasops palette carefully matched what OpenFirmware
> > uses for the console on sparc64.
> >
> > Therefore, I propose to default on using the proper VGA text mode palette
> > RGB values, and to keep the original rasops color palette on sparc64.
> >
> > The differences between the two palettes can be seen here [2].
> >
> > Comments? OK?
>
> Why is it important to match VGA colours?
> We don't try to match video modes or fonts.

I also don't understand the fuss, because during bootup we are effectively
flipping between a series of views (without retaining pre-existing text,
just simply clearing the screen and starting all over again).  Since that
is the situation, why does any of the look matter, as long as each new load
is similar (or better), isn't that good enough?  I think this might matter
if the pre-existing text was *retained*, rather than cleared away..