On Tue, May 04, 2021 at 11:02:49AM +0200, Hrvoje Popovski wrote:
> On 4.5.2021. 10:47, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> > On Tue, May 04, 2021 at 10:32:02AM +0200, Hrvoje Popovski wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> today i tried to do sysupgrade and it wouldn't finish because of iwx
> >> errors.
> >> iwx is working just fine with with snapshots, even with eduroam :)
> >>
> >> e14gen2# cat /etc/hostname.iwx0
> >> debug
> >> join "eduroam" wpa wpaakms 802.1x
> >> autoconf
> >
> > You probably have wpa_supplicant running when it works, right?
>
> yes ...
>
> > Does this issue really occur only in bsd.rd, or can this be reproduced
> > on any kernel while wpa_supplicant is not running?
>
> i've disabled and stopped wpa_supplicant and reboot laptop and iwx0
> didn't get ip but laptop did boot normally ..
>
> iwx0: flags=808843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST,AUTOCONF4> mtu
> 1500
>         lladdr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
>         index 2 priority 4 llprio 3
>         groups: wlan
>         media: IEEE802.11 autoselect (HT-MCS11 mode 11n)
>         status: no network
>         ieee80211: join eduroam wpaprotos wpa2 wpaakms 802.1x wpaciphers
> ccmp wpagroupcipher ccmp

Hmm. OK.

I have no idea how exactly 802.1x is supposed to work.
I am not the person who added support for 802.1x. I have never used it,
and I don't have a wpa enterprise setup.

Nevertheless, I can reproduce the following:

I think your problem is that dhclient is waiting for link to come up in
the foreground, long enough that the sysupgrade watchdog timeout triggers
and the system reboots.

(I)nstall, (U)pgrade, (A)utoinstall or (S)hell? s
# ifconfig iwx0 join "eduroam" wpa wpaakms 802.1x
# cd /dev
# sh MAKEDEV sd0
# fsck -p /dev/sd0a
/dev/rsd0a: file system is clean; not checking
# mount /dev/sd0a /mnt
# route monitor &
[1] 26254
# dhclient iwx0
iwx0: hw rev 0x340, fw ver 48.1335886879.0, address d0:ab:d5:f4:6b:31
got message of size 200 on Tue May  4 09:32:35 2021
RTM_IFINFO: iface status change: len 200, if# 5, name iwx0, link: no carrier, m>
sockaddrs: <IFP>
 d0:ab:d5:f4:6b:31
 got message of size 96 on Tue May  4 09:32:35 2021
 RTM_PROPOSAL: config proposal: len 96, source dhcp, table 0, if# 5, name iwx0, 0
 flags:<UP,DONE,PROTO3>
 fmask:
 use:        0   mtu:        0    expire:        0
 locks:  inits:

At this point dhclient stays blocked in the foreground, seemingly forever.
The expected behaviour would be that it eventually times out and prints
its "...sleeping" message.

I don't see any of the iwx firmware errors you are seeing.
But would fixing such iwx errors even help you, given that eduroam is an
entirely useless wifi network for bsd.rd?

The question is why dhclient doesn't go into the background.
If it did, then sysupgrade would work.

I hope that others who are more familiar with how this is supposed to
work could take a look.