>Uh, oh, to my naive ears (naive with respect to matters of time-related
>functions), this sounds like a typical case where we likely want one
>manual page documenting both alarm(3) and ualarm(3), not two pages.
>
>Basically, the rule of thumb is: if two functions have a very similar
>purpose, share most of their properties (including important parts
>of the syntax and/or semantics of their arguments, return values,
>behaviour, error handling or implementation, such that describing
>them separately results in considerable duplication of text, and if
>describing them together is beneficial for the user in so far as it
>makes it easier to highlight the (few) differences, then describe
>them together (unless that grows the number of functions sharing
>the same manual page too much, but 2 is certainly not too much).
>
>> All the changes over there apply here re describing what the interface
>> actually does.  It basically does the same thing so I see no reason
>> not to reuse what I wrote for that page.
>
>Do you see any reason to not put all the information into the alarm(3)
>manual page?
>
>Should i give merging the two a try, or do you want to?

Merging this sounds dangerous.

Are people's eyes not going to glaze over the different ranges?

I would argue also argue that the bolding on this sentence
is DANGEROUS:

     This is a simplified interface to setitimer(2).

Oh, it is a simplified interface!  And I know setitimer!  I don't need
to read any further!

And onwards they go .. coding straight into the integer truncation trap.

>Can the current wording below CAVEATS, "confusing behavior", be made
>more precise, explaining what actually happens rather than merely
>calling it "confusing"?  For example, saying that they all override
>each other or something like that?  Or saying that behavior is
>undefined when more than one of them is used (isn't that what POSIX
>says)?

Confusing like a bear trap.  Oww, how the hell did that get around my leg.