Stuart Henderson <s...@spacehopper.org> wrote:

> On 2021/10/21 16:30, Alexander Bluhm wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Goal is to retire the async crypto API.  It is slow and adds
> > complexity which hinders MP progress in IPsec.  It is used by the
> > old PCI devices hifn(4), safe(4), and ubsec(4).
> >
> > These devices are not common anymore.  Using the CPU for crypto is
> > faster than offloading via the PCI bus.  By having special requirements
> > for the crypto API, those devices slow down modern machines.  They
> > only support crypto algorithms that are insecure nowadays.
> >
> > ok to remove hifn(4) safe(4) ubsec(4) ?
>
> OK. The main useful feature as far as I'm concerned is the rng but
> I don't think it's useful/common enough to be worth doing anything other
> than just deleting the drivers.

Perhaps that function can be left intact in a few drivers.

But honestly I think the software rng stack we have now does sufficient
amounts of churn, and I cannot see runtime operations which exhaust it.
Send or receive packets?  You are generating interrupts at unpredictable
interrupt time deltas, those get folded in.  This isn't a basic fold like
in other systems, it is powerful & sophisticated and I see no way it can
fall behind.