On Mon, Jan 09, 2023 at 01:52:03PM +0000, Nicholas Marriott wrote:

> From a quick look it will happily fall back to carriage return and space
> if the capabilities it would prefer (el and hpa/RI) are not present, so
> probably anything would do.
>
> Or you could check if the terminfo entry existed with something like
> "tput el >/dev/null 2>&1" before running pkg_add.

Thanks for taking a look and suggesting how to detect available terminfo
entries. To keep things simple it seems we can start with a static
value. We can always make it more dynamic later if needed.

As for dumb vs unknown it seems dumb has one less capability:
```
$ infocmp dumb
#       Reconstructed via infocmp from file: /usr/share/terminfo/d/dumb
dumb|80-column dumb tty,
        am,
        cols#80,
        bel=^G, cr=^M, cud1=^J, ind=^J,

$ infocmp unknown
#       Reconstructed via infocmp from file: /usr/share/terminfo/u/unknown
unknown|unknown terminal type,
        am, gn,
        cols#80,
        bel=^G, cr=^M, cud1=^J, ind=^J,
```

They are identical except for unknown also having the "gn" capability (generic
line
type as defined in terminfo(5)). So just going with the "least capable"
dumb seems like a good start.

Regards,
Patrik Lundin