> Am 21.02.2023 um 12:00 schrieb Crystal Kolipe <kolip...@exoticsilicon.com>:
>
> On Tue, Feb 21, 2023 at 11:29:17AM +0100, jhx wrote:
>> this patch adds the "-p" option to sysctl which makes it possible to
>> read/parse/apply settings from /etc/sysctl.conf at any time the user wishes.
>
> This is an interesting idea, but you can effectively do the same thing
> from the shell with:
>
> # sysctl `cat /etc/sysctl.conf`
>
> Also, note that both your patch and the above shell command do not
> gracefully handle comment lines in /etc/sysctl.conf, (although that
> shouldn't cause any problem in practice).

Also there is a difference between the use of /etc/sysctl.conf at boot and when
using either the proposed -p option or the shell command: At boot we start out
with the default values. When re-reading /etc/sysctl.conf the current state is
the base. That is very relevant if you e.g. remove a line from /etc/sysctl.conf
(to go back to the default).

Mike