g...@oat.com wrote:

> Theo de Raadt wrote:
>       After pledge, 80% of the base programs were converted to pledge-assisted
>       priv-drop, because it was really obvious that "initialization code"
> could
>       and should be moved earlier in the program, so that pledge (or multiple
>       pledge calls dropping permissions further) could be added to the
>       program.
>
>       Inside the group, we called this moving of initialization code to
>       earlier "hoisting".
>
> Hoisting and cleanup can have very large benefits independent of implementing
> pledge
> or other security features.
> I have seen programs shrink by almost 90% and gain functionality as a result.
>
> In one case it -was- a program which ran with privileges equivalent to root.
> As a byproduct of the cleanup we were later able to assure ourselves that the
> result
> needed no more changes to be as secure as we could make it.

It is a big mental shift.

If you don't attempt & perform the hoisting action once, yourself to a
real pre-existing program, then you will never understand pledge and
have mysterious beliefs about how it is 1-line secret sauce that makes
programs safer.

On the contrary, it is 90% guidance and 10% enforcement.