Hi Lukasz,

I'm a bit taken-aback by the "support plan" request as for 20.04 LTS and 22.04 LTS this was never requested, and so as far as I know we would have to start from scratch. Since I'm basically on the technical side for two flavors now, I have to wear both those hats and come up with that policy for both. Unfortunately, this wording for "support plan" is too vague and needs to be more specific.

At first, I was simply going to request more specifics, but the more I thought about it (and took several hours to do so), the more I realized this is extra burden for volunteers that shouldn't be, and for that reason I'm challenging this request.

In the past, as far as I can find, there has been no precedent for anything like this, and I have yet to see any member of the Technical Board justify this move as it has never been requested before and I have no evidence of a prior request for this. It should not be up to the flavors to define a "support plan" further than what has been set as precedent in the past. This just creates extra work for *volunteers* that are otherwise working jobs (e.g. myself as a stay-at-home father/tutor for my son, my wife as a full-time early childhood administrator). I challenge that this technical requirement crosses the line from technical requirement into community encroachment, which is why the Community Council is CC'd on this email.

Please know, this is not an escalation for a Code of Conduct violation as, contrary to popular belief, the Code of Conduct is not the only responsibility of the Community Council, but also overall community health and oversight. I believe this situation amounts to a community health issue. I say this as a Community Council emeritus.

I feel like this move is one where the Technical Board, of which I note every member is a Canonical employee, is looking at it through the lens of people who are paid to work on Ubuntu and not as volunteer leaders, something in which I have expert experience and hold a college degree and am happy to advise on. I have even offered my knowledge on this matter several times in the past and been ignored, but that's another matter entirely. However, because I've been ignored in the past on other matters, that's why I feel Community Council involvement is appropriate.

Also, do know that I see no ill-intent here as I do see good reasons for it, but I feel as though requiring extra work for volunteers when there is no precedent for something like this in the past seems like a bit of an overreach and an extremely vague request (support can mean anything from simple patches to 24/7 technical support which is a no-go). If there was precedent, then there would already be documentation for each flavor, but I believe a simple agreement for flavors to a blanket unified "support plan" would be more appropriate rather than requiring each flavor to come up with their own which would take more time and possibly definition than flavors should have to come up with.

Thank you for understanding, and I hope we can come up with a solution.

Sincerely,
Erich Eickmeyer