Sebastian Riedel asks:

> Am 01.06.2005 um 22:14 schrieb Daniel Schmeck:
>
>> I use the template toolkit for generating static html pages. At the
>> moment are
>> all templates with german content.
>> [...]
> Am i the only one here using Locale::Maketext?
>
> I like Catalyst::Plugin::I18N which is based on
> Locale::Maketext::Simple.

I think this is simply a matter of scale.

IIRC, the (Mason-based) Request Tracker
<http://www.bestpractical.com/rt/> is using Locale::Maketext::Lexicon,
whereas bugzilla is using Template Toolkit, but doing its
internationalisation without any additional perl modules.

It makes a difference whether you want to program a framework or
application intended for general use (like Catalyst or RT) or to
produce one bilingual static website (with ttree, presumably).

Fine modules as they are, for a static website Locale::Maketext::*
look like pretty much overengineering.  Even if there were a simple TT
plugin around it (or is there?).

I'd accept Locale::Maketext if I already had a lexicon or if there is
a chance that the lexicon I create for my site is going to be used
elsewhere - but neither of those happened so far.

Therefore I always have deliberately decided for simple TT templates
with hashes and against Locale::Maketext::* for websites.  One syntax
less to remember (the lexicon), and one set of modules less to care
for.  But these have been sites of 1500 pages or less - bigger sites
may need more powerful tools.

That said, Autrijus's presentation "Web Localisation in Perl" gives an
example where a simple TT template with hashes would fail:
<http://www.autrijus.org/webl10n/slide011.html>

    # The German lexicon, in extended PO File format
    msgid "You are my %ord(%1) guest in %*(%2,day)."
    msgstr "Innerhalb %*(%2,Tages,Tagen), sie sind mein %ord(%1) Gast."

I've never felt the need to tell things like this in my websites nor
the desire to create lexicons like that.
--
Cheers,
haj