Thank you very much for your responses.

A question comes to my mind. How do you harvest (extract) the messages from the templates into a PO or (POT) file? Do you have to do that manually?

I've seen a module on CPAN called Locale::Maketext::Extract which comes with a command line utility called "xgettext.pl". This module extracts strings from various file formats (Perl, TT, Mason, ...) and puts them in a PO file. In its documentation, it says that :

Template Toolkit

Strings inside [%|l%]...[%END%] or [%|loc%]...[%END%] are extracted.

That looks like "loc" would have to be a TT filter for that to work. What do you think?

Another question => You say that the folllowing would work as well:

[% loc('some message') %]
[% 'some message' | loc %]

Is "loc" an exported function in that case? Which module exports it then? Besides, how does "loc" know which language handle to use? I am perplexed...

Cheers,
Ayhan