At 9:39 PM on 11 Sep 2008, R. Hicks wrote:

> What scenarios benefit from that? I am running under CGI and the
> pages don't change a whole lot.

I assume you're referring to the 'COMPILE_DIR' setting...  and in your
case I'm sure you would see a benefit, with little to no cost.  The
fact that it's CGI doesn't matter with COMPILE_DIR, since the compiled
templates are stored on disk, and can be reused by multiple processes.

I would suggest that you not place your COMPILE_DIR under /tmp, since
I've encountered problems after reboots where the permissions are
changed by the boot scripts, and the template cache directory is no
longer accessible to the websites.  I've implemented a work-around in
my boot scripts, but I didn't realize until just now that I could just
place my cache directory somewhere else. :-)

--

C. Chad Wallace, B.Sc.
The Lodging Company

Debian Hint #1: You can report a bug in a package with the 'reportbug'
command, which is available in the reportbug package, or by using the
graphical frontend 'reportbug-ng'.