Jim Battle wrote:
> Andy Wardley wrote:
>> Jim Battle wrote:

<snip />

> What does seem wrong is that a file that is obeying the convention of
> the host it is on would not result in a binary identical output file if
> the template rules are nothing but a pass-through.  It should be as if I
> had used a copy command.

Not that it will help, and will probably confuse the issue, but I can
say I have seen situations where for some reason instead of a <CR><LF>
line ending a <LF><CR> was generated.  This happened on several systems
but there was no correlation between then except if memory serves me
right it was where Windows (and maybe Perl) were involved.  The only
reason I know this happened is I passed the file through xxd and saw it.

Neither emacs nor vi saw it the same and each handled it differently.
Too bad I don't have access to that code any more.

Good luck,
Rod