On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 7:42 AM, zdenko podobny <zde...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Can somebody explain why a tif size (2480x3508 @ 8BPP) is not processed?

The test image has 16 bpp.

> This is not tesseract but leptonica issue (library used for image handling).
> When I run it on linux I got error message comming from leptonica (1.67 -> I
> did not try 1.68 on linux yet):
> Error in pixReadFromTiffStream: spp not in set {1,3,4}
> Error in pixReadStreamTiff: pix not read
> Error in pixReadTiff: pix not read

I get same warnings on with Leptonica v1.68 on Windows XP SP3.

> On Windows leptonica "release version" library did not show error/warning
> messages because of compile option "NO_CONSOLE_IO"
> (see http://code.google.com/p/leptonica/issues/detail?id=42).
> It looks like leptonica did not support lzw compression for tiff (
> see http://www.leptonica.com/source/README.html  "9. Image I/O" - lzw is
> mentioned in png and gif section, but not with tif). I change
> tif compression from lzw to zip (BTW: this will cause smaller image),
> tesseract will produce ouput (on XP SP3).

Incorrect. At least on Windows I build libtiff with "LZW_SUPPORT        = 1"
in my nmake.opt file.

You can see the actual problem by looking at
http://tpgit.github.com/Leptonica/tiffio_8c_source.html#l00274, where
Leptonica gets the TIFFTAG_SAMPLESPERPIXEL. It allows 1, 3, or 4 but
not 2 as this image contains.

          -- TP