On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 2:27 AM, zdenko podobny <zde...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> The test image has 16 bpp.
>>
> Interesting. How did get this information? I tried:
>
> identify (imagemagick): TIFF 2480x3508 2480x3508+0+0 8-bit Grayscale
> DirectClass 1.556MB
> infranview "says": Original colors: 65536   (16 BitsPerPixel);
> Current colors: 256   (8 BitsPerPixel); Number of unique colors: 41;

I used:

ACDSee and

AsTiffTagViewer
(http://www.awaresystems.be/imaging/tiff/astifftagviewer.html) The
results are a bit complicated but pretty sure this one tells you
EXACTLY what the tiff tags contains. "Whenever a customer reports your
software doesn't handle this or that particular TIFF, use
AsTiffTagViewer and discover why." :P It's the only tag viewer I know
of that correctly shows the ImageDescription tag for each page of a
multi-page tiff. Most image viewers seem to only show the first page's
ImageDescription.

And since you asked, I also ran the libtiff 3.9.4's tiffinfo.exe to get:

   TIFF Directory at offset 0x174e32 (1527346)
     Image Width: 2480 Image Length: 3508
     Resolution: 300, 300 (unitless)
     Bits/Sample: 8
     Compression Scheme: LZW
     Photometric Interpretation: min-is-black
     Extra Samples: 1<unassoc-alpha>
     FillOrder: msb-to-lsb
     Orientation: row 0 top, col 0 lhs
     Samples/Pixel: 2
     Rows/Strip: 1
     Planar Configuration: single image plane
     Page Number: 0-1
     DocumentName:
C:/www/test/wwwdocs/files/ea1/ea1064bb1fdb449c28f97fa31b8e3ea6.tif
     Predictor: horizontal differencing 2 (0x2)

Looks to me like some programs just look at Bits/Sample and forget to
also take into account Samples/Pixel?

         -- TP