I think a lot of this is caused by the project home page claiming that
Tesseract 3.03 is shipped with Ubuntu 2014.04. This sounds like it is a
final release. I'd change or remove that statement.

Roadmap

> Version 3.03 release candidate is now available (source only so far) for
> download and contains many new features. (See the ReleaseNotes
> <https://code.google.com/p/tesseract-ocr/wiki/ReleaseNotes> for a full
> list.) Please check out the ReadMe
> <http://code.google.com/p/tesseract-ocr/wiki/ReadMe> before going to
> Downloads <http://code.google.com/p/tesseract-ocr/downloads/list> as you
> need more than one file. *Even the windows executables tarball is
> incomplete as language files are required.* Most notable new features:
>
>    - PDF output.
>    - New Renderer for extracting detailed recognition information at a
>    document level.
>
> *Version 3.03 ships with recent Linux distributions such as Ubuntu 14.04.*
>
> Version 3.02 ships with Ubuntu 12.04

Paul

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tesseract-ocr/b4bc70ef-b5d1-434b-ae57-92c7722fae8a%40googlegroups.com.