Your script seems to look ok.

--U  $train_output_dir/eng/eng.unicharset \   # not sure if this is
necessary; doesn't make a difference
is NOT required

I will suggest that you remove files from an earlier run, before running
the script.

Take a look at  $train_output_dir/eng directory and review the unicharset
there to see whether your new characters are included in the unicharset.

Take a look at the log file, specially in the initial portion to see
whether it shows increase in number of characters.

ShreeDevi

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tesseract-ocr/CAG2NduVp9_2bwOYdWsFnLsWusK_N9p3htvGJEd4X7UjmmTskNA%40mail.gmail.com.