MATHIHALLI,MADHUSUDAN (HP-Cupertino,ex1) wrote:
I don't know if this has been discussed already, but I was thinking of the
following alternatives : 1. how about the listener thread in each of the child process keeps updating
a global time variable that each of the threads can refer to ?. 2. set the time at the begining of the process, and then each of the thread
measures the amount of time it has been running.. (Current time = startup
time + delta time).. AFAIK, the time taken to compute delta time is much
lesser than gettimeofday..

I'm a little confused. The gettimeofday()/apr_time_now() happens in the httpd core AFAIK. Brian Pane said that it's cheaper than time() on some platforms, I believe. If we want to discuss alternatives to that, the discussion belongs on [EMAIL PROTECTED]

But then in your next post it sounds like you're experimenting with the time() syscalls in mod_specweb99.

Is this against the spec or something ?.

Which spec? If you are referring to either the SPECWeb99 run rules or to RFC2616, neither of them dictate which syscalls you use.

Greg