[snip]
>You probably need to mutex updates to your global variable, which will
>probably suck out most of your performance gains.

That is correct.. The assumption I had is : timestamp is done once per
request, and since there are multiple requests coming in per second, it
really should not matter if the next request overwrites the older value
(it's afterall within a second resolution).

>>Anyways, moving away from the time(), here's what I've been
>thinking..I'm
>>sure many of you have gone through this list, so, can you
>please give me
>>your feedback regarding the following :
>>
>>1. Why we need to do the apr_stat() for static files each
>time the request
>>comes in - can it be done during the module_init() phase, and
>the values put
>>in a array of some sort. ?.
>>
>Files change. Why not use mod_file_cache? It will (or should
>if it does
>not have a bug) eliminate the stat.  Or we could  spend time rewriting
>code to just do an open (followed by a less expensive fstat)
>rather than
>a stat/open.

That is the intent. But I have a problem there.. When I use the
mod_file_cache, it opens up the fd's starting from the lower end (10, 11 or
something).. And then, when we receive a request, the network layer starts
searching from the bottom for a open fd - it scans the whole list, finds one
at 60000 or something like that, and then apache doesn't like it.
Is there some sort of "mod_file_cache can use fd's only more than 10000" or
something like that ?..

-Madhu