William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> At 08:28 AM 6/25/2003, Geoffrey Young wrote:
>
>> hi all
>>
>> I thought it might be useful to have an have_apache_mpm function.
>> while not particularly useful for individual tests, I use
>> have_min_apache_version() from my Makefile.PL and plan to use
>> have_apache_mpm() from there as well.  I suspect it's real
>> utility, though, would be from a custom TEST.PL.
>

> Won't ap_mpm_query() answer any question you could throw it?  Or is
> this some must-have-in-advance sort of question?

some might want to know before the server is started, skipping all tests for a module that isn't (yet) threadsafe. this applies to me, and would preclude the use of a runtime-only function, even though there are certainly cases where individual tests in a suite might require skipping and an ap_ call is ok.

> It seems like the API for ap_mpm_query would be simpler to follow,
> just extended to run outside-of-apache.

probably, and it would certainly be safer than checking -V output. the issue I see with this is that thus far Apache-Test is pure perl, so it seems overkill to get into the C API and XS for just for one small feature. unless I'm missing something, that is :)

OTOH, thanks for bringing ap_mpm_query up. APR_HAS_THREADS seems to have issues (for me, anyway) - I was seeing it return true for my prefork install, which I attributed to one of the autogenerated files not getting properly recreated after a worker build. anyway, I'm not that familiar with the buildconf stuff, so I was probably not cleaning up properly between compiles...

--Geoff