On Fri, 11 Jul 2003, Stas Bekman wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
[ .. ]
> > Now I get a different failure ("Alias" is now invalid):
[ .. ]

> > waiting for server to start: .Syntax error on line 76 of
> > /home/slavenr/work2/httpd-test/perl-framework/Apache-Test/t/conf/httpd.conf:
> > Invalid command 'Alias', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a
> > module not included in the server configuration !!!
>
> Do you have mod_alias available?
>
> % prefork/bin/httpd -l | grep mod_alias
>    mod_alias.c
>
> I suppose we could run this command to check for prerequisites
> and die if they aren't available?

I'm not sure what the best way to go about this is, but maybe the
following might help in deciding ... I think the problem arises
when Apache-Test either doesn't find the right httpd.conf
corresponding to the found httpd (as might happen, for example,
when httpd is a symlink to the real one), or it finds and parses
a bogus one (this happened to me a couple of times when the
installed httpd.conf wasn't edited to include the minimal
LoadModule directives, and I forgot to check). So it's not
necessarily a problem with using an incorrect httpd (although
that may still happen), but rather incorrect or missing
information from httpd.conf is being used.

If the above is on the right track, one possibility is to
do the following (in cases where possible LoadModule directives
are needed by Apache-Test):
- die if an httpd.conf isn't found in a directory conf/ in an
expected relative location to httpd (or perhaps add an option
allowing a user to specify where httpd.conf is, if it's in
a different relative to httpd).
- test the configuration, and if an "Invalid Command ..." error
is generated, suggest to the user to either supply the right
httpd.conf, or check the validity of the existing one.

--
best regards,
randy