hi all

in preparation for the upcoming 1.05 release, I'm going to create a RELEASE document in the Apache-Test directory. I've attached a preliminary version here, which is essentially copied from the one for mod_perl (with a few adjustments).

if I'm missing anything or something isn't right, please speak up. if it's mostly right but easier to tweak via CVS, just let me know and I'll commit it.

--Geoff
Instructions for Apache-Test Release Manager

1. 'make dist' - to make sure nothing is missing from the manifest,
   etc. Now test this generated package (not cvs) with as many
   configurations as possible on as many platforms as possible.

  a. nuke any preinstalled Apache-Test libs and run 'make test'

  b. test that you can 'make install' and then run 'make test' again

  c. test whether we still 100% OK on systems with no LWP:

     % APACHE_TEST_PRETEND_NO_LWP=1 make test

2. once confident that the package is good, upload a release candidate
   to perl.apache.org/~username and post 24 hour-ish candidate alert
   to the httpd-test/modperl/dev list (may be longer to give most people
   a chance to catch up). no need to tag this package

  a. if problems are detected during stage 2, repeat stages 1 and 2.

3. when the package has been reported to be good, prepare a new
   package to be released

  a. edit ./Changes:
     - remove '-dev'
     - add release date

  b. make sure tag looks right (might need to rerun Makefile.PL)
     % make -n cvs_tag

  c. commit Changes
     % cvs ci Changes

  d. tag
     % make cvs_tag

  e. create the final package
     % make dist

  f. test the final package again at least once

4. Release the package and update links (e.g. mod_perl-1.99_11.tar.gz)

  a. upload to www.apache.org:/www/perl.apache.org/dist/

  b. remove releases older by 2 subversions (keep the last one)

5. Upload the package to CPAN

6. Announce the package

  a. post ... to the modperl, announce lists
  Subject: [ANNOUNCE]: mod_perl 1.99_11
     include
  - MD5 sig (as it comes from CPAN upload announce).
  - the latest Changes

7. Prepare for the next cycle

  a. increment version in lib/Apache/Test.pm

  b. edit ./Changes:
     - start a new item with incremented version + '-dev'

  =item 1.06-dev

  c. commit Changes
     % cvs ci Changes lib/Apache/Test.pm