Geoffrey Young wrote:
[...]
I'm not sure it's a good idea to just:

+    $self->{inherit_config}->{ServerRoot} ||= $self->apxs('PREFIX');

may be better to use PREFIX if ServerRoot is not defined in the code where it's needed, so it'll be clear that we don't have ServerRoot defined. And if we fail to expand paths we can tell a user the reason. If we have ServerRoot=PREFIX we can't tell the real reason to the user.

how about something like the attached patch? it seems to work for me under 1.3 and 2.0, and dies on a 1.3 with no ServerRoot and no mod_so. mike, can you give it a whirl?

one thing I noticed is that if ServerRoot is not specified in httpd.conf then Apache-Test can't resolve relative Include directives (such as conf/ssl.conf), so they need to be postponed until later in order to be picked up as they would if ServerRoot were specified.

So my suggestion complicates things compared to the original Mike's patch. Would it make things smoother if we did a silent ServerRoot=PREFIX and keep the code as before, but raise a flag ServerRootMissing=1, which we can use in the error message if failing to resolve relative paths?