[SNIP]

>> There's one more thing I noticed (might be specific to
>HP-UX) : I saw more
>> errors with keepalive ON rather than when it was OFF.
>
>I think you may be looking at a problem where server and client(s) are
>messing with each other. Threads blocking on the server could
>be tying up
>the clients, untill all clients are hanging and everything
>stops. I have
>found the SPECWeb99 clients less than wonderfully robust under these
>circumstances.

I don't know - with keepalive turned ON, I see the server is hovering around
50% idle - but still not giving the enough throughput.. OTOH, the client(s)
is 70% idle. I saw that server has a whole bunch of TIMED_WAIT socket states
(around 2000), but the client(s) had only a few of them. I thought the
server was running out of sockets (or something really bad happening), and
hence turned the keepalive OFF.

Another thing that I started noticing : if I enable many threads (1000
threads) per process (on 1-way box), the performance is worse than enabling
fewer threads (100 threads) per process. There were far too many semops and
semtimeouts.
I ended up having 7000 - 8000 context switches !!

-Madhu