Joshua Schnee wrote:

I am attempting to set up the latest Apache server and RHEL 64bit to use in a Specweb99 run and am running into cgi issues. I am very new to Apache, and am having difficulty getting apache to run/use/find my cgi-script. Static content works fine, but I am getting improper file returned errors on all but the command/reset.

Would either of you will willing to help?

I am copying the [EMAIL PROTECTED] mailing list where all the Apache specweb99 people hang out. You might want to subscribe if you are going to be working with specweb99 for a while. See http://httpd.apache.org/test/ for info on the mailing list and the project in general. There are two other sub-projects discussed on this list but the total traffic is low.

OK, some questions. Are you trying to use mod_specweb99 for dynamic content, or are you trying to use just a CGI? If it's the latter, do any CGIs work for you? Apache ships two sample CGIs in the cgi-bin install directory, printenv and test-cgi. Make sure you chmod +x them or they won't work; it's a mystery to me why we install them without execute permissions. If you see the CGI code returned to the client rather than the result of executing the script, you probably need to tweak your httpd.conf to tell Apache that this is a CGI and not just a static file. Here's what I have:

<Directory /spec_docroot/cgi-bin >
    Options ExecCGI
    SetHandler cgi-script
</Directory>

If you can get the Apache sample CGIs to work but still have problems, you are probably seeing failures at the beginning of the run where the SPEC client tests the various types of URLs. Fortunately, the client prints the URLs before it tests them. Cut-n-paste the failing URLs into a browser navigation bar and hit enter. What does the browser display?

Hope this helps.
Greg