Geoffrey Young wrote:
you flipped the logic here.  it needs to be

unless -e $generated && -M $generated > -M $File::Find::name

I don't think so. The two snippets you quoted above aren't the same.
I've changed the functionality and changed the order of the arguments.

ok, I see now.  when I ran my own logic tests I flipped the files myself.
confusing stuff :)

Yes, -M is always confusing, since it reports the time since the last change.

right now it reconfigures all the time:

[warning] forcing re-configuration:
[warning]       - t/conf/extra.conf.in is newer than t/conf/extra.conf.

-rw-rw-r--    1 geoff    geoff        1283 Feb 19 09:42 extra.conf
-rw-rw-r--    1 geoff    geoff         353 Feb 19 09:36 extra.conf.in

I bet you see that problem when you do a full reconfigure, no? So, yes,
there is a buglet in the comments, not the actual config process. Will
fix that shortly.

yes, you're right, it was the comments - extra.conf wasn't being regenerated
every time, it was just the warning that was showing up.

anyway, sorry for not paying more attention.

No, no, your observation was good, as I indeed introduced a misleading commentary. I think it's all fixed now.